Federal Data Strategy Team Offers Detail Opportunity
Washington – Data is critically important to grow the economy, increase the effectiveness of the Federal Government, facilitate civic engagement and oversight, and promote transparency. The Federal Data Strategy (FDS), a result of the Leveraging Data as a Strategic Asset Cross-Agency Priority Goal in the President’s Management Agenda, will fundamentally transform how agencies manage, use, and make data available. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is currently seeking Detailees from agencies across the government to spend one year supporting FDS implementation.
Detail assignments will include completing implementation of the 2020 FDS Action Plan, developing and implementing the 2021 FDS Action Plan, and stakeholder outreach and communications. This detail requires high-performing individuals who possess a combination of business acumen, project management, and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of or experience with data roles along the federal data lifecycle and federal agency implementation of the FDS and Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act is ideal.
Who Can Apply:
- Career federal employees in grades GS12 - GS15 or equivalent
- Term and temporary employees are not eligible to apply
How to Apply:
Before submitting an application, potential candidates should discuss their interest in the detail with their direct supervisor. Complete application packages will include the following documents and must be submitted by July 17, 2020 to DataStrategy@omb.eop.gov.
- Current resume
- Statement of interest (no more than 1 page)
- Supervisor’s letter of recommendation
Agencies must sign a Memorandum of Understanding with OMB prior to the start of the detail. Major components include:
- The home agency funds the Detailee’s salary while on assignment.
- The Detailee will work at OMB’s office in Washington, DC; however, telework is available during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Selected candidates will undergo a background investigation.
Work assignments may include:
- Support development and implementation of FDS Action Plans:
- Lead and coordinate processes to solicit agency feedback on implementation
- Assist agency Chief Data Officers in fulfilling practices and milestones
- Collect and present milestone metric data
- Facilitate interagency groups to develop resources
- Coordinate and incorporate governmental and non-governmental input on a draft 2021 Action Plan and publish the final plan
- Develop case studies communicating how agencies are leveraging data within their organizations
- Generate strategic ideas to improve the way government provides, maintains, and uses data consistent with the FDS’ 10-year goals
- Support FDS communications and outreach efforts:
- Present and lead discussions on FDS for federal agencies or interagency working groups
- Present, serve on panels, answer Q&A for non-governmental organizations/at meetings, such as trade groups, conferences, etc.
- Manage external communications through web updates, newsletters, and creation of visuals
- Support the Chief Data Officer Council and other data-related governance groups
- Other duties as assigned
- Application deadline: July 17, 2020
- Interview / Matching: July 20-24, 2020
- Onboarding: by September 1, 2020 (ideal, but potential for flexibility)
For more information about the Federal Data Strategy and the 2020 Action Plan, visit strategy.data.gov.